FIFA president Gianni Infantino has highlighted the need for video assistant referee (VAR) technology in the wake of Panama's 2-1 win over Costa Rica in CONCACAF World Cup qualifying on Tuesday.
The Panamanians helped eliminate the United States from a place in Russia next summer after being an awarded a goal despite the ball appearing to not cross the goal line in the 53rd minute.
The result, coupled with the U.S.'s 2-1 loss at Trinidad and Tobago, meant Panama qualified ahead of the Americans, who will miss out on their first World Cup since 1986.
Speaking at the presentation of the Women's World Cup in Lyon, France, on Thursday, Infantino said similar incidents should not happen in the future.
"When you play a World Cup qualification game and that game is decided by a major error of interpretation by the referee, which can happen because they're human beings like everyone else, then it is time to rectify things," Infantino, who's expressed his desire to have VAR at next summer's World Cup, said.
"When the whole world has seen it in just a few seconds and the only one who hasn't is the referee, not because he doesn't want to but because he's forbidden from seeing it, and it could be corrected then I think we should move with the times and take a step forward."
Addressing a time frame, Infantino added that he wants VAR technology -- which was used in the Confederations Cup this summer -- implemented as soon as possible, but said a formal decision has yet to be made.
"We are prepared to put VAR into practice, but the decision hasn't been taken yet," he added.
"Every time video has been used, it has either confirmed a refereeing decision or corrected a wrong one.
"However, the objective of it is to only correct the big errors and not every single small detail in the game."
Follow @ESPNFC on Twitter to keep up with the latest football updates.
Latest Nigeria News
- I won’t box again if I had Povetkin’s doping issues –Joshua
- Nwakali joins Porto on loan
- Rapes and beatings: The travails of S’Korea’s young athletes
- ‘We aren’t under pressure to win Lagos badminton’
- Aremu joins F’Eagles for Mauritania clash
- 2018 COSAFA Under-17 Championships – DAY 1 WRAP DAY 2 PREVIEW
- Fabinho jokes he'll get Kylian Mbappe to swap PSG for Liverpool
- Pogba's France role no good at United
- Sanchez gets visa to join Manchester United’s US tour
- With 11.4m responses, Ronaldo’s Instagram post becomes fifth most liked of all time
- Jorginho vows to bring fresh style to Chelsea
- Robson: Mourinho took a dig at Pogba in press conference
- Liverpool seal deal for Alisson in world-record goalkeeper transfer
- Cheery up, Mourinho!
- Hislop: Usain Bolt to the A-League is a marketing ploy
- Wilshere hoping to boost England chances with West Ham move
- French World Cup ace Pavard may join Bayern before new season
- Liverpool close in on record €75m deal for Brazil’s Alisson
- Cristiano Ronaldo move to Juventus influenced by Spain tax rate - La Liga chief
- Zlatan Ibrahimovic: Paul Pogba answered Manchester United critics at World Cup
- Liverpool giving medical to Alisson ahead of 'significant' transfer - Monchi
- Leicester City in talks with Liverpool goalkeeper Danny Ward - source
- Zinedine Zidane has never been considered as France coach - FFF boss
- Petr Cech fully focused on Arsenal, no Chelsea offers on table - agent
- Mourinho worried by Man United’s ‘very bad’ pre-season
- Balogun eager to kickoff new EPL campaign with Brighton
- ‘We have to collect their bones’: Klopp fears post-World Cup injury woe
- Arsenal youngster Nwakali joins Porto on loan
- French envoy angry at joke that ‘Africa won the World Cup’
- Transfer Talk LIVE: Chelsea and Milan in Alvaro Morata, Gianluigi Donnarumma swap
- Guikan brace sends Gor flying past Yanga
- Transfer Talk LIVE: Manchester United lining up Robert Lewandowski, Thiago moves
- Spending 22 years at Arsenal, my biggest mistake –Wenger
- Athletes kick as AFN hands off domestic competitions
- Russia 2018 Tit Bits: A lesson for African (mis)leaders
- Joshua ready to prove his worth against Povetkin
- Enyimba beat Williamsville 1-0 in Confed Cup
- AYG: Nigeria draw Morocco, Libya in football
- Turkey, Hungary, United States clubs join Central Coast Mariners' race to sign Usain Bolt
- Transfer Talk: Manchester United lining up Robert Lewandowski, Thiago moves