Swiss federal prosecutors have announced a criminal case for suspected bribery linked to World Cup broadcast rights against Paris Saint-Germain's Qatari chairman and CEO Nasser Al-Khelaifi.
The investigation concerns alleged bribes offered to former FIFA secretary general Jerome Valcke to award 2026 and 2030 World Cup rights to Qatari-owned BeIN Media Group, the office of Switzerland's attorney general said on Thursday.
The latest proceeding in a broader Swiss investigation of FIFA is against "Jerome Valcke, the chief executive officer of the BeIN Media Group LLC Nasser Al-Khelaifi, and a businessman in the sports rights sector," federal prosecutors said.
Valcke was alleged to have received "undue advantages" from the businessman, who was not identified, to award "media rights for certain countries" for four World Cups from 2018 through 2030.
Valcke was questioned on Thursday and properties were searched in France, Greece, Italy and Spain.
Swiss prosecutors said the action was carried out with Eurojust, a European Union agency for cooperation in criminal matters.
"Multiple premises were searched, assets were seized and interviews were conducted as a result of this joint operation," the European justice body said in a statement.
The criminal proceeding was opened on March 20, but only announced on Thursday, the Swiss federal office said.
beIN Sports issued the following statement.
"Following a request by the office of the Attorney General of Switzerland (OAG), the beINSPORTS offices in Boulogne-Billancourt (France) were searched this morning. The employees on-site cooperated with the authorities until the end of the search. beINMEDIAGROUP refutes all accusations made by OAG. The company willfully cooperate with the authorities and is confident as to the future developments of this investigation.
The proceeding against Al-Khelaifi is one of the first direct links to Qatar in sweeping investigations by authorities in the United States, France and Switzerland of FIFA, international football, and the 2018-2022 World Cup bidding contests.
Al-Khelaifi's profile has risen in recent months as PSG pursued and sealed a world-record transfer of Brazil star Neymar from Barcelona for €220 million.
The case stemmed from a wider investigation of FIFA's business that saw criminal proceedings opened against Valcke in March 2016.
Valcke was FIFA's CEO-like secretary general under then-president Sepp Blatter from 2007 until he was fired in January 2016.
The French former TV presenter was in Switzerland on Wednesday to testify at the Court of Arbitration for Sport in his appeal hearing against a 10-year ban by FIFA for financial wrongdoing and abuse of expenses.
Latest Nigeria News
- Man City have found killer instinct – Guardiola
- Barca roll on calmly amidst Catalan chaos
- Mourinho's interest put Dier 'in a compromising position' - Pochettino
- Can Spurs finally beat Liverpool?
- Arsenal's Arsene Wenger 'frightened' by prospect of retiring as manager
- Terriers punish Lindelof, Mata
- Eagles, Argentina friendly for Nov.14
- Quadri, Assar crash out of W’Cup
- Americans use my Olymipic medal to motivate their kids — Yusuf-Olukoju
- Barcelona's Ernesto Valverde keeping faith in Luis Suarez despite misses
- Malaga's Luis Hernandez calls Barcelona's controversial opening goal 'absurd'
- Manchester United preparing January swoop for Valencia's Carlos Soler
- Barcelona win after controversial goal while Valencia thrash Sevilla
- Man City thrash Burnley 3-0
- Nigeria to play Argentina in November
- Mesut Ozil denies Man United links; Barca make final Philippe Coutinho bid
- Man Utd shocked by Huddersfield, City go 5 points clear, Chelsea beat Watford
- Chelsea still in title hunt with dramatic comeback win vs. Watford
- Antonio Conte insists he's not feeling pressure after Chelsea beat Watford
- Man United stunned at Huddersfield
- Jose Mourinho: Man United players must explain lack of desire in defeat
- WATCH: Burley reviews Saturday's action
- Pep Guardiola: Man City's five-point lead not 'significant' in October
- Aguero equals Man City scoring record
- ITTF World Cup: Quadri hopes to avoid World number one Ma Long
- Aruna Quadri crashes out of ITTF World Cup
- BREAKING: Man Utd lose 2-1 at Huddersfield
- English Premier League results
- Mourinho says he is judged harshly because of success
- Luis Suarez to sit out Uruguay friendlies
- Neymar a mentor for Mbappe at PSG says Marquinhos
- Chelsea losing at home to Watford
- Barcelona's Luis Suarez to miss Uruguay friendlies to aid knee recovery
- Diego Simeone: Atletico Madrid will find 'right path' amid struggles
- Barcelona won't leave Spain regardless of Catalonia situation - Bartomeu
- Zinedine Zidane hits back at Gary Lineker over Karim Benzema remarks
- Barcelona planning to offer Lionel Messi 'lifetime' contract - CEO Grau
- EPL: Talk is cheap as Wenger eyes more misery for Everton
- Broadcasters list
- N'Diaye: Mali's natural-born goalscore