LONDON, England -- Anthony Martial has played down talk of a rift with Manchester United manager Jose Mourinho after scoring twice against Chelsea.
The Frenchman's second half double put United on the brink of a first win at Stamford Bridge since 2012 before Ross Barkley's 96th-minutes equaliser.
Pick your eight-man team and compete in the Champions League, Premier League, La Liga or Liga MX, then go head-to-head in leagues against your friends or people around the world. Sign up for free!
Your team will be made up of eight players, at four different positions: two forwards, three midfielders, two defenders, and a goalkeeper. Find out more here.
Martial, who is yet to sign a contract extension at Old Trafford, was criticised by Mourinho during the summer for going AWOL after leaving the preseason tour of the U.S. to attend the birth of his son. It resulted in the forward being hit with a two-week fine but after finding the net twice against Chelsea, Martial insisted his relationship with the Portuguese coach is good.
"Things were not tense between us to begin with [before the performance at Chelsea]," said Martial.
"We have a player-coach relationship and I hope that we will continue like that and bring Manchester United as much as possible."
Martial was also on the scoresheet against Newcastle as United came back from 2-0 down to win 3-2. It means Mourinho's team will face Juventus at Old Trafford on Tuesday on the back of two positive results and Martial is hopeful of building on the momentum against the Italian champions. The 22-year-old is likely to keep his place against Juventus after scoring three goals in his last two games.
"We were not doing well," he said. "However, we worked hard and this sort of match enabled us to show that we are a good team.
"We want to continue with another good game against Juventus on Tuesday.
"[The goals] have done me the world of good. "However, ultimately, I am disappointed. We deserved to win but we shipped the goal in the last minute and it cost us."
Latest Nigeria News
- Ronaldo penalty puts Juventus ahead
- Moreno: Pogba should play vs. Liverpool
- Torino 0-1 Juventus: Ronaldo wins Turin derby
- Dortmund's Marco Reus plays like 'Ferrari' in middle of field - Nuri Sahin
- Karim Benzema nets early winner as Real Madrid edge Rayo Vallecano
- Modric shows off Ballon d'Or in 8/10 showing as Madrid hold on vs. Rayo
- Real Madrid boss Santi Solari plays down supporters' whistles and boos
- Spurs scrape win, City back on top
- Fulham 0-2 West Ham: Hammers continue winning ways
- Heracles 0-3 PSV: PSV take care of business
- Crystal Palace 1-0 Leicester: Milivojevic stunner
- Tottenham 1-0 Burnley: Eriksen rescues Spurs
- Huddersfield 0-1 Newcastle: Rondon leads the way
- Wolves 2-0 Bournemouth: Jiménez on target
- Barcelona's Dembele, Coutinho dilemma an 'advantage' - Valverde
- Smalling signs new Man United contract through to 2022
- Icardi puts Inter up with Panenka
- Watford 3-2 Cardiff: Thriller at Vicarage Road
- Inter 1-0 Udinese: Cheeky Icardi wins it
- Mauro Icardi's Panenka penalty gives Inter Milan win over Udinese
- LIVE Transfer Talk: Arsenal to snap up Barcelona's Denis Suarez to replace Aaron Ramsey?
- Liverpool legend John Arne Riise: I'd rather play for Jurgen Klopp than Jose Mourinho
- FIFA President Gianni Infantino gets ASEAN backing for re-election
- Liverpool keeper Alisson: Napoli save was like scoring winning goal
- Does Liverpool-Man United have the makings of a dull match?
- Sheffield United 1-2 West Brom: Baggies up to 3rd
- Which Milan side had a worse week in Europe?
- Arsenal boss Unai Emery working on plan to solve centre-back crisis
- Toronto FC trades GK Clint Irwin to Colorado Rapids for 2019 draft pick
- Extra Time: Alisson vs. De Gea, and Adrian Healey push-ups
- ESPN FC Best of the Week
- David Villa posts emotional farewell to city of New York, NYCFC, fans ahead of his move to Japan
- Transfer Talk: Chelsea's Loftus-Cheek a loan target for West Ham, Bournemouth
- Burley: Mourinho's mentality is one of excuses
- La Liga Predictor: Can Real Madrid bounce back?
- Transfer Rater: Zidane to Premier League? Morata to Barca?
- Caleb Porter nearing Columbus Crew deal
- AEK Athens to reimburse Bayern Munich ¬32k for ticket-price violation as Greek FA fined
- AC Milan fined ¬12m by UEFA, threatened with one-year European ban
- Ex-Uruguay striker Sebastian 'Loco' Abreu extends world record, joins Brazil's Rio Branco