Minnesota United midfielder Alexi Gomez and goalkeeper coach John Pascarella have each been served a three-game suspension for their participation in a scuffle that occurred in the club's 2-0 loss to the Colorado Rapids on Oct. 13.
The incident occurred after Niki Jackson's goal in the 97th minute gave the Rapids their second goal of the match. In the ensuing celebration, Colorado defender Tommy Smith ran up beside Minnesota's bench and appeared to shout at the crowd at TCF Bank Stadium. Smith was then pushed by Minnesota's Miguel Ibarra which led to a confrontation between both sides.
Pascarella was dismissed from the match for irresponsible behavior, which carries an automatic one-game suspension. The three-game suspension will make it four total regular-season games that he'll miss, two of which will come in the 2019 season. He also received an undisclosed fine.
Minnesota midfielder Harrison Heath, who received a red card following the melee, was handed an additional one-game suspension (two games total) and an undisclosed fine.
For the Rapids, Yannick Boli has been issued an undisclosed fine and a one-game suspension for entering the field of play during a confrontational incident.
MLS also fined both clubs, as well as Minnesota head coach Adrian Heath and Colorado head coach Anthony Hudson for violation of the league's mass confrontation policy.
Colorado midfielder Marlon Hairston and defender Edgar Castillo, as well as Minnesota's Ibarra, were issued an undisclosed fine for inciting or escalating the mass confrontation incident. Minnesota midfielder Maximiano also was issued an undisclosed fine for violating the bench behavior policy.
The league has also fined Colorado midfielder Jack Price, as well as Minnesota defender Brent Kallman, midfielder Darwin Quintero, and forward Angelo Rodriguez for violating the league's policy regarding hands to the face, head or neck of an opponent during the mass confrontation incident.
Latest Nigeria News
- Ronaldo penalty puts Juventus ahead
- Moreno: Pogba should play vs. Liverpool
- Torino 0-1 Juventus: Ronaldo wins Turin derby
- Dortmund's Marco Reus plays like 'Ferrari' in middle of field - Nuri Sahin
- Karim Benzema nets early winner as Real Madrid edge Rayo Vallecano
- Modric shows off Ballon d'Or in 8/10 showing as Madrid hold on vs. Rayo
- Real Madrid boss Santi Solari plays down supporters' whistles and boos
- Spurs scrape win, City back on top
- Fulham 0-2 West Ham: Hammers continue winning ways
- Heracles 0-3 PSV: PSV take care of business
- Crystal Palace 1-0 Leicester: Milivojevic stunner
- Tottenham 1-0 Burnley: Eriksen rescues Spurs
- Huddersfield 0-1 Newcastle: Rondon leads the way
- Wolves 2-0 Bournemouth: Jiménez on target
- Barcelona's Dembele, Coutinho dilemma an 'advantage' - Valverde
- Smalling signs new Man United contract through to 2022
- Icardi puts Inter up with Panenka
- Watford 3-2 Cardiff: Thriller at Vicarage Road
- Inter 1-0 Udinese: Cheeky Icardi wins it
- Mauro Icardi's Panenka penalty gives Inter Milan win over Udinese
- LIVE Transfer Talk: Arsenal to snap up Barcelona's Denis Suarez to replace Aaron Ramsey?
- Liverpool legend John Arne Riise: I'd rather play for Jurgen Klopp than Jose Mourinho
- FIFA President Gianni Infantino gets ASEAN backing for re-election
- Liverpool keeper Alisson: Napoli save was like scoring winning goal
- Does Liverpool-Man United have the makings of a dull match?
- Sheffield United 1-2 West Brom: Baggies up to 3rd
- Which Milan side had a worse week in Europe?
- Arsenal boss Unai Emery working on plan to solve centre-back crisis
- Toronto FC trades GK Clint Irwin to Colorado Rapids for 2019 draft pick
- Extra Time: Alisson vs. De Gea, and Adrian Healey push-ups
- ESPN FC Best of the Week
- David Villa posts emotional farewell to city of New York, NYCFC, fans ahead of his move to Japan
- Transfer Talk: Chelsea's Loftus-Cheek a loan target for West Ham, Bournemouth
- Burley: Mourinho's mentality is one of excuses
- La Liga Predictor: Can Real Madrid bounce back?
- Transfer Rater: Zidane to Premier League? Morata to Barca?
- Caleb Porter nearing Columbus Crew deal
- AEK Athens to reimburse Bayern Munich ¬32k for ticket-price violation as Greek FA fined
- AC Milan fined ¬12m by UEFA, threatened with one-year European ban
- Ex-Uruguay striker Sebastian 'Loco' Abreu extends world record, joins Brazil's Rio Branco