Raul Jimenez converted a penalty in the 71st minute to give Mexico a 3-2 win over Costa Rica in a back-and-forth friendly match on Thursday night.
Playing at Estadio Universitario in Monterrey, Mexico got off a nervy start when Mexico goalkeeper Gibran Layud almost committed an own goal in the 10th minute.
Angel Zaldivar almost got El Tri on the scoreboard first with a close-range low header, only to be thwarted by Costa Rica goalkeeper Keylor Navas on a spectacular diving save.
But it was Costa Rica who opened the night's scoring in the 29th minute when Bryan Oviedo sent a pinpoint cross to Joel Campbell who sank in a header at the far post.
Mexico responded with the equalizer four minutes later with Victor Guzman's volley into the top corner of the net set up by Josecarlos Van Rankin's serve across the penalty box.
Los Ticos re-took the lead in the 43rd minute on Oviedo's penalty shot after Van Rankin was called for a handball in front of Mexico's goal.
Henry Martin drew the home side level again in the 56th minute with a header following Jurgen Damm's cross from a tight angle off the touchline.
Martin was key in Mexico's third goal, drawing the penalty which give Jimenez the opportunity to knock in the eventual game winnner successfully converted.
Latest Nigeria News
- INT VS MIL
- Mauro Icardi's late goal sees Inter past AC Milan in derby
- Inter 1-0 Milan: Icardi the derby hero again
- Atlanta United 2-1 Chicago Fire: Supporters' Shield within reach
- 'Hand of God' goal gives Dynamos priceless win
- Atlanta United beat Chicago Fire to secure CONCACAF Champions League spot
- Acosta sets up Rooney as D.C. United take the lead
- ATL VS CHI
- Chicago gifts Atlanta the lead back with own goal
- Chievo 1-5 Atalanta: Ilicic hat trick
- Juventus' Emre Can may need surgery on thyroid nodule
- Bologna 2-2 Torino: Bologna roar back
- Parma 0-2 Lazio: Lazio leave it late
- Chiefs advance in Telkom Knockout after shoot-out win
- Should Mourinho change his tactical approach?
- Everton snatch points with late goals after Crystal Palace penalty woe
- Everton 2-0 Crystal Palace: Toffees take 3 points
- Fiorentina 1-1 Cagliari: Fiorentina drop first home points
- Martial blast Man United level
- Arsenal boss Unai Emery: I wanted to bring Alexandre Lacazette to PSG
- Cristiano Ronaldo 7/10 as Juventus drop points for first time this season
- AFF Cup's importance to world football is growing with each edition
- Melbourne City's win despite 12 absentees shows 'tremendous amount of resilience' - Warren Joyce
- Keisuke Honda's Melbourne Victory debut delivers welcome boost for A-League
- Phoenix 2 - 1 Jets: VAR helps Wellington edge Newcastle
- Usain Bolt offered full-time Central Coast Mariners contract - agent
- Roar 1 - 1 Mariners: Wasteful Brisbane make do with draw
- LIVE Transfer Talk: Manchester City join chase for Bournemouth's Nathan Ake
- Anthony Martial insists relationship with Jose Mourinho is good
- Zlatan reminds SVP of his God-like status
- CHE VS MAN
- Victory 1 - 2 City: City win controversial derby
- CHE VS MAN
- Ola Aina backs John Terry to be a coaching hit at Aston Villa
- Real Madrid avoid setting new goal-drought record in home defeat to Levante
- Martial curler puts Man United ahead
- Last-gasp Ross Barkley strike saves point for Chelsea against Manchester United
- Chelsea equaliser sparks Mourinho melee
- Real Madrid defence suffer as Raphael Varane 3/10, Sergio Ramos 4/10 stand out
- New boss Henry sees Monaco slump to 2-1 Strasbourg defeat