Barcelona are refusing to put a timeframe on Samuel Umtiti's recovery from a knee injury amid reports the defender is set for a long-term layoff.
Umtiti has not played since Barca's 2-1 defeat to Leganes on Sept. 26 due to a problem with the cartilage in his left knee.
A story in Diario Sport on Thursday claimed the club are considering surgery to fix the issue because Umtiti has not responded to the course of treatment as expected.
However, sources at the Catalan club told ESPN FC nothing has changed from when they first revealed the centre-back had an injury.
Barca said in September Umtiti had a problem but did not reveal how long he would be sidelined for, merely saying his "recovery will dictate his return to action."
That's a stance they are sticking to amid concerns he will not be able to play again until the New Year.
Umtiti sat out the recent draws with Athletic Bilbao and Valencia, while he was suspended for the trip to Tottenham in the Champions League, but coach Ernesto Valverde has suggested the 24-year-old would be back after the international break.
But Sport claim Barca now fear he will not play again until 2019 and that he could end up needing surgery to help heal the damaged knee.
Umtiti has not joined up with the France squad during the international break and regardless of whether surgery is deemed necessary or not, it's unlikely he will be available for the games against La Liga leaders Sevilla, Inter Milan and Real Madrid later this month.
In the meantime, Valverde has been forced to stick with Gerard Pique, who has played every game so far this season despite making some high profile mistakes, pairing him with either summer signing Clement Lenglet or Thomas Vermaelen.
Latest Nigeria News
- INT VS MIL
- Mauro Icardi's late goal sees Inter past AC Milan in derby
- Inter 1-0 Milan: Icardi the derby hero again
- Atlanta United 2-1 Chicago Fire: Supporters' Shield within reach
- 'Hand of God' goal gives Dynamos priceless win
- Atlanta United beat Chicago Fire to secure CONCACAF Champions League spot
- Acosta sets up Rooney as D.C. United take the lead
- ATL VS CHI
- Chicago gifts Atlanta the lead back with own goal
- Chievo 1-5 Atalanta: Ilicic hat trick
- Juventus' Emre Can may need surgery on thyroid nodule
- Bologna 2-2 Torino: Bologna roar back
- Parma 0-2 Lazio: Lazio leave it late
- Chiefs advance in Telkom Knockout after shoot-out win
- Should Mourinho change his tactical approach?
- Everton snatch points with late goals after Crystal Palace penalty woe
- Everton 2-0 Crystal Palace: Toffees take 3 points
- Fiorentina 1-1 Cagliari: Fiorentina drop first home points
- Martial blast Man United level
- Arsenal boss Unai Emery: I wanted to bring Alexandre Lacazette to PSG
- Cristiano Ronaldo 7/10 as Juventus drop points for first time this season
- AFF Cup's importance to world football is growing with each edition
- Melbourne City's win despite 12 absentees shows 'tremendous amount of resilience' - Warren Joyce
- Keisuke Honda's Melbourne Victory debut delivers welcome boost for A-League
- Phoenix 2 - 1 Jets: VAR helps Wellington edge Newcastle
- Usain Bolt offered full-time Central Coast Mariners contract - agent
- Roar 1 - 1 Mariners: Wasteful Brisbane make do with draw
- LIVE Transfer Talk: Manchester City join chase for Bournemouth's Nathan Ake
- Anthony Martial insists relationship with Jose Mourinho is good
- Zlatan reminds SVP of his God-like status
- CHE VS MAN
- Victory 1 - 2 City: City win controversial derby
- CHE VS MAN
- Ola Aina backs John Terry to be a coaching hit at Aston Villa
- Real Madrid avoid setting new goal-drought record in home defeat to Levante
- Martial curler puts Man United ahead
- Last-gasp Ross Barkley strike saves point for Chelsea against Manchester United
- Chelsea equaliser sparks Mourinho melee
- Real Madrid defence suffer as Raphael Varane 3/10, Sergio Ramos 4/10 stand out
- New boss Henry sees Monaco slump to 2-1 Strasbourg defeat