Monaco have sacked manager Leonardo Jardim, the club have announced, and Thierry Henry remains the frontrunner to replace him.
Jardim led the Principality side to the Ligue 1 title and Champions League semifinals in 2016-17 before seeing before seeing Kylian Mbappe, Bernardo Silva and Benjamin Mendy leave that summer.. Yet he was still able to finish the campaign as runners-up to Paris Saint-Germain.
???? Leonardo Jardim : "Je suis reconnaissant et fier d'avoir pu entraîner l'@AS_Monaco durant plus de 4 années. J'ai toujours donné le meilleur de moi-même et travaillé avec passion.— AS Monaco ???????? (@AS_Monaco) October 11, 2018
Daghe Munegu."#ObrigadoMister pic.twitter.com/InZHL16YO7
However, following a dismal start to the 2018-19 season, Jardim has been sacked with Monaco in the relegation zone after five defeats in their first nine games.
"I am grateful and proud to have been able to manage Monaco for over four years," Jardim said. "I have always given my best and worked with passion.
"We have won enjoyed great victories together and I will always keep those memories with me."
Vadim Vasilyev, Monaco's general manager, thanked Jardim for transforming the club into a well-respect European outfit.
"I want to express my profound respect for all the work Leonardo has done," Vasilyev said. "As Monaco manager, Leonardo has established himself as a reference point in Europe and leaves behind a very positive balance sheet.
"His time here will remain one of the most beautiful periods in the club's history. Leonardo will always be part of the Monaco family."
Monaco are set to replace Jardim with Henry, who started his career at the club and won the Ligue 1 title in 1997. The Frenchman is assistant to Roberto Martinez at Belgium and had been linked with the job at Aston Villa but sources have told ESPN FC that he is set to take over at Monaco.
Martinez has backed Henry to succeed at Monaco, and said: "Thierry is ready to take a club."
Meanwhile, Monaco have received €10 million from Manchester United after Anthony Martial scored his 25th league goal for the club.
Latest Nigeria News
- INT VS MIL
- Mauro Icardi's late goal sees Inter past AC Milan in derby
- Inter 1-0 Milan: Icardi the derby hero again
- Atlanta United 2-1 Chicago Fire: Supporters' Shield within reach
- 'Hand of God' goal gives Dynamos priceless win
- Atlanta United beat Chicago Fire to secure CONCACAF Champions League spot
- Acosta sets up Rooney as D.C. United take the lead
- ATL VS CHI
- Chicago gifts Atlanta the lead back with own goal
- Chievo 1-5 Atalanta: Ilicic hat trick
- Juventus' Emre Can may need surgery on thyroid nodule
- Bologna 2-2 Torino: Bologna roar back
- Parma 0-2 Lazio: Lazio leave it late
- Chiefs advance in Telkom Knockout after shoot-out win
- Should Mourinho change his tactical approach?
- Everton snatch points with late goals after Crystal Palace penalty woe
- Everton 2-0 Crystal Palace: Toffees take 3 points
- Fiorentina 1-1 Cagliari: Fiorentina drop first home points
- Martial blast Man United level
- Arsenal boss Unai Emery: I wanted to bring Alexandre Lacazette to PSG
- Cristiano Ronaldo 7/10 as Juventus drop points for first time this season
- AFF Cup's importance to world football is growing with each edition
- Melbourne City's win despite 12 absentees shows 'tremendous amount of resilience' - Warren Joyce
- Keisuke Honda's Melbourne Victory debut delivers welcome boost for A-League
- Phoenix 2 - 1 Jets: VAR helps Wellington edge Newcastle
- Usain Bolt offered full-time Central Coast Mariners contract - agent
- Roar 1 - 1 Mariners: Wasteful Brisbane make do with draw
- LIVE Transfer Talk: Manchester City join chase for Bournemouth's Nathan Ake
- Anthony Martial insists relationship with Jose Mourinho is good
- Zlatan reminds SVP of his God-like status
- CHE VS MAN
- Victory 1 - 2 City: City win controversial derby
- CHE VS MAN
- Ola Aina backs John Terry to be a coaching hit at Aston Villa
- Real Madrid avoid setting new goal-drought record in home defeat to Levante
- Martial curler puts Man United ahead
- Last-gasp Ross Barkley strike saves point for Chelsea against Manchester United
- Chelsea equaliser sparks Mourinho melee
- Real Madrid defence suffer as Raphael Varane 3/10, Sergio Ramos 4/10 stand out
- New boss Henry sees Monaco slump to 2-1 Strasbourg defeat