Jurgen Klinsmann has said he will only return to international management to take over a country capable of reaching the World Cup semifinals.
Klinsmann has been out of work since he was sacked as United States coach during their doomed World Cup qualifying campaign. He had been under contract through the 2018 World Cup, but the U.S. lost 2-1 to Mexico and then 4-0 away to Costa Rica in November 2016. The results left the U.S. at the bottom of the six-team regional CONCACAF group with eight games to play and Klinsmann was subsequently axed.
The 54-year-old watched the World Cup in Russia as the United States missed out on the tournament and has said he will not rush into returning to international management.
"Ahead of the World Cup in Russia, I had four, five enquiries from teams playing there," Klinsmann told Sport Bild.
"But I turned them down because their goal was to survive the group stages. I had this goal with the U.S. [at the 2014 World Cup in Brazil]. It's not enough for me now.
"If [I return], I want to lead an association of a certain calibre and with the goal to reach the last four at a World Cup.
"But if such a situation does not come to pass in the foreseeable future, I wouldn't mind it for family reasons. My daughter Laila still attends school. And when she attends university next year, the situation changes."
The World Cup will return to the United States for the second time after hosting it in 1994, and Klinsmann praised the successful joint U.S., Mexico and Canada bid for the 2026 tournament.
"America will be an incredible host. The United States is a country with an unbelievable hospitality," Klinsmann said.
"It will be a spectacle."
Bruce Arena replaced Klinsmann as United States coach but resigned after failing to secure qualification for the World Cup in Russia.
Dave Sarachan remains in interim charge of the USMNT and general manager Earnie Stewart has said appointing a full time coach will be a "process over speed."
Latest Nigeria News
- Shaka's top five goalkeepers in the world
- Transfer Rater: Gunners going for defence
- LIVE Transfer Talk: Chelsea's Alvaro Morata offers himself to Barcelona
- Tottenham confirm home match with Manchester United to be played at Wembley
- Liverpool's Joel Matip out six weeks with broken collarbone
- Luciano Spalletti carries the can for Inter's Champions League implosion
- Chelsea's 2012 Champions League commemorative jersey unveiled to unfavourable reviews
- Arsenal's Ainsley Maitland-Niles: I suffered racial abuse when I was 12
- Celtic striker Leigh Griffiths to take time out from football
- Wayne Rooney's visit to White House with President Trump's son 'apolitical' - source
- Emery confirms Koscielny's return against Qarabag
- Manchester United's Shola Shoretire, 14, youngest player in UEFA Youth League
- Real Madrid coach Santiago Solari and Gareth Bale could leave Bernabeu - John Toshack
- PSG finish top of Champions League group by putting in the 'invisible work' and playing as a team
- Van Dijk hails Alisson's Liverpool heroics
- Tuchel: Champions League shows PSG can handle pressure
- Pochettino: Spurs achieved 'mission impossible' to reach UCL knockouts
- Mourinho: Pogba needs a response to being dropped
- Fenerbahce president scraps players' flights after defeat deepens relegation worries - source
- Klopp 'full of adrenaline' after Napoli win
- Allegri: Chiellini injures himself just by looking at artificial turf
- Liverpool's Virgil van Dijk believes challenge on Napoli's Dries Mertens was fair
- LIVE Transfer Talk: Chelsea look to Barcelona's 'other' Suarez to replace Fabregas
- Kovac: Bayern must end negativity with Ajax win
- Mourinho 'unaware' of agent's statement
- Red Star Belgrade gets loud support from tennis star Novak Djokovic
- PSG's Thomas Tuchel lauds team for finishing top of Champions League group
- 'Proud' Central Coast Mariners determined to avoid worst A-League start record
- Barbarouses backs Troisi and Antonis for Asian Cup
- Melbourne Victory's Keisuke Honda, Natasha Dowie win PFA Player of the Month awards
- Kylian Mbappe 8/10 as Paris Saint-Germain defeat Red Star to clinch top spot
- Transfer Talk: Manchester United's Marcus Rashford an AC Milan target
- Extra Time: Happy Birthday, Steve Nicol!
- Liverpool's Jurgen Klopp has 'no words' for Alisson save vs. Napoli
- Transfer Talk: Chelsea look to Barcelona's 'other' Suarez to replace Fabregas
- Liverpool and Tottenham progress in UCL
- Tottenham's result against Barcelona never 'mission impossible' - Mauricio Pochettino
- What you need to know about 2018 Liga MX Apertura finalists Cruz Azul
- What you need to know about 2018 Liga MX Apertura finalists Club America
- New York Red Bulls sign defender Tim Parker to three-year deal - sources