Defender Daniel Lovitz scored the game-winning goal in the first minute of stoppage time, and Ignacio Piatti scored on a penalty kick to lead the Montreal Impact to a dramatic 2-1 victory over the Chicago Fire on Saturday night at Saputo Stadium in Montreal.
Lovitz bounced in a shot past goalie Richard Sanchez from the top of the half-circle outside the penalty box into the left corner of the net after Chicago defender Johan Kappelhof attempted to clear a corner kick. It was Lovitz's first goal of the season.
The win kept the Impact in a tie for fifth place with the Philadelphia Union, who defeated New York City FC, 2-0, earlier Saturday night, in the Eastern Conference. The top six finishers qualify for the MLS Cup playoffs.
Evan Bush had one save for the Impact, who snapped a four-game winless streak that included three draws.
Nemanja Nikolic scored his 11th goal of the season for Chicago, which lost its eighth straight game and fell 10 points behind Montreal and Philadelphia in the battle for the final East playoff spot with just eight games to go.
It took only six minutes for Montreal to take a 1-0 lead. Chicago defender Bastian Schweinsteiger was called for a foul for taking down Impact midfielder Saphir Taider just inside the left side of the 18-yard box. Piatti then converted the penalty kick for his 12th goal of the season, blasting in a shot into the bottom-right corner of the net while Sanchez guessed wrong and dove to the left side.
The Impact had a chance to make it 2-0 just three minutes later, but Taider's header from the center of the box off a nice cross by Bacary Sagna went right of the net. Sagna, a French international with an impressive Premier League resume at Arsenal and Manchester City, was making his Montreal debut after coming over from Benevento Calcio of Serie A earlier in the week.
Nikolic finally tied it, 1-1, in the 70th minute, drilling in his own rebound from the middle of the box after Bush stopped his header from the same spot but allowed the ball to roll right back to the Fire forward.
Latest Nigeria News
- Alex Sandro: I have a desire to play in the Premier League
- Wayne Rooney's sons pose for cute Christmas card photos to herald holiday season
- Juventus' Alex Sandro has 'desire' to play in Premier League - but not yet
- Martin Boyle stars for Australia as Tim Cahill makes final international appearance
- Yannick Carrasco offered teammate ¬10,000 after allegedly breaking nose in training 'conflict'
- Virgil van Dijk deployed as STRIKER in final stages of Nations League clash with Germany
- Australia 3-0 Lebanon: Socceroos victorious in Cahill's sendoff
- Tim Cahill's Australia career ends on a high note
- South Korea brush aside Uzbekistan as Paulo Bento stays unbeaten
- LIVE Transfer Talk: Juventus target Manchester United's Marcus Rashford
- Not coaching Lionel Messi is Argentina's interim coach Lionel Scaloni's only regret
- Germany showing signs of recovery despite relegation from UEFA Nations League
- Transfer Talk: Juventus target Manchester United striker Marcus Rashford
- Schick secures League B stay for Czech Republic
- When is the Euro 2020 qualifying draw and who is seeded?
- Frank LeBoeuf understands Pogba's post-World Cup struggles
- LeBoeuf: Varane should win the Ballon d'Or
- Leboeuf: Henry, Monaco don't know how to fight relegation
- UEFA boss calls breakaway Super League 'fiction,' while Juve chief denies involvement
- Does Nations League failure matter to France?
- Burley: Lessons to be learned from Dutch 'smash and grab'
- Extra Time: Neymar in Mbappe's shadow? Dembele to Liverpool?
- Transfer Talk: Real Madrid eye Zlatan Ibrahimovic, Radamel Falcao moves
- Zimbabwe vs. Liberia: Where did it all go wrong?
- Promes pulls one back for the Netherlands
- Virgil van Dijk strikes late as Netherlands draw with Germany to reach Nations League finals
- Van Dijk completes comeback with venomous volley
- Bardhi stunner earns Macedonia Nations League promotion
- Denmark 0-0 Ireland: Denmark can't break deadlock
- Qatar 2-2 Iceland: Stunning strikes in Qatar
- Nigeria victory is a stepping stone to World Cup - Refiloe Jane
- Mexico's Ricardo Ferretti: Liga MX foreign player rule needs changes
- England's positive vibes pay dividends, Belgium blow big lead, Dutch delight, more
- Is a young Dutch duo the future at Barcelona?
- Griezmann: I would love Zidane as France manager
- Liverpool's Dejan Lovren to escape action for Sergio Ramos video on social media
- Maradona dances after team reaches Ascenso semi-final
- Barcelona's Luis Suarez tells Ousmane Dembele to 'focus solely on footall'
- Spain, Portugal, Morocco considering joint 2030 World Cup bid
- Bayern's life during the international break- Via Bayern Munich