The publicity blitz around Usain Bolt's proposed trial at the Central Coast Mariners could cost the A-League club the opportunity to cash in on the Jamaican sprint star's switch to football.
Clubs from around the world have been alerted to the potential riches on offer by signing Bolt, with the Mariners now facing a battle just to get their mooted six-week trial over the line.
AAP understands teams in Turkey, Hungary and the United States are among those to have entered the race for the eight-time Olympic champion.
Some of them are keen to offer Bolt a contract straight away, rather than put him through his paces first as the Mariners intend to do.
Central Coast CEO Shaun Mielekamp is set to fly to London this weekend in an attempt to seal the deal with Bolt, his long-time agent Ricky Simms and Australian intermediary Tony Rallis, who first floated the 31-year-old's availability to A-League clubs.
Simms told AAP on Tuesday the Mariners were only one of a number of options on the table for Bolt.
Mielekamp will also meet with Mike Phelan, the Mariners' new football director, who will reportedly be responsible for overseeing the trial if it happens.
If it doesn't, the Mariners have at least got their name out there.
Independent media monitoring analysis conducted by the club has shown 130 million people read about Bolt's link in the 30 hours following the revelations.
It would have cost them $4.5 million to buy the same amount of media coverage that was generated.
Some have dismissed it as a brazen publicity stunt while Football Federation Australia, who have been asked to tip in around $900,000 from their marquee player fund in the event Bolt was to succeed in his trial, have reacted somewhat coolly to the prospect.
"It's completely random," Brisbane Roar striker Adam Taggart said when asked about Bolt's potential A-League move.
"But I guess if that's what Central Coast are keen to do, then that's what they're keen to do.
"It'd obviously be pretty interesting to have a character like that in the league. I'm just happy I'm not a defender having to run against him if he does come."
Latest Nigeria News
- Messi ‘sees things others don’t’ says Barcelona coach
- Federer to clash with Djokovic in Cincy tennis final
- Halep beats Sabalenka to reach third Cincy final
- Messi, Coutinho get Barcelona off to winning start
- Man accused of hijacking plane extradited from Cyprus
- Sporting KC 3-0 Portland: Diego Rubio brace
- Houston 1-2 Real Salt Lake: RSL score two in stoppage
- San Jose 1-1 Toronto: Wondolowski scores
- Andre Gray scores for Watford
- Tarkowski levels it for Burnley
- Sergio Aguero lobs it over the keeper
- Gabriel Jesus quickly makes it two
- Sergio Aguero gives Man City 3-0 Lead
- Stankovic gets one back for Huddersfield
- Liverpool midfielder Marko Grujic signs contract, joins Hertha Berlin on loan
- Germany should have defended Mesut Ozil from 'racist attacks' - DFB president
- Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp on Naby Keita: We have no idea how good he can be
- Hungarian game delayed as player gets wedding ring stuck, loses starting XI spot
- Atletico's Antoine Griezmann and Karl-Anthony Towns do a Fortnite dance
- Guardiola: Mendy is important for Man City's locker room
- Man United's Jose Mourinho: Fred a 'positive influence,' Andreas Pereira has become more of a man
- Iwobi scores in Chelsea, Arsenal five-goal thriller
- Tears, fears as DSS occupation of glasshouse continues
- Ronaldo fails to score on Serie A debut
- PSG hero Kylian Mbappe: Neymar's a bigger superstar than I am
- Manchester City's Pep Guaridola won't hesitate to play Phil Foden: 'We trust him a lot'
- Transfer Talk: Manchester City plan £60 million swoop for Wolves' Ruben Neves
- Philadelphia Union improve playoff standing with shutout of New York City FC
- Daniel Royer earns draw vs. Vancouver Whitecaps, keeps New York Red Bulls' run alive
- Daniel Lovitz scores in stoppage-time as Montreal Impact edge the Chicago Fire
- Diego Rubio scores twice as Sporting Kansas City blank the Portland Timbers
- Albert Rusnak's brace helps Real Salt Lake stun the Houston Dynamo
- Chris Wondolowski's equalizer helps San Jose Earthquakes draw with Toronto FC
- FC Dallas remains atop West with shutout of Minnesota United
- Ronaldo fails to score in Juventus debut
- Chelsea beat Arsenal 3-2 in thrilling London derby
- Sarri salutes Chelsea’s winning mentality after ‘horrible’ spell
- Tight security as Ronaldo makes Serie A debut
- Kane ends goal drought as he scores for Tottenham Spurs
- Mbappe scores in first match for PSG after World Cup