Two first half goals by strikers Bright Adjei and and Yahaya Mohammed was enough for Ghana's Aduana Stars to pick their first three points at the expense of AS Vita of DR Congo.
The Ghanaians, who were without a win in the first two games following a home draw to Raja Athletic Club of Morocco and an away lose to ASEC Mimosas (Cote d’Ivoire), started the game strongly with new head coach Kenichi Yatshuashi fielding a familiar yet rigorous side.
Early pressure from the hosts saw Adjei open the scores as early as the fourth minute after midfielder Emmanuel Boateng dribbled past two players before issuing a through pass, and coolly planted the ball beyond the onrushing AS Vita goalkeeper, Nelson Lukong.
The goal served as a tonic for Aduana to push more men forward as they were on the front foot with the likes of Mohammed, Zakaria Mumuni and Boateng dictating the pace in the midfield.
Their persistence paid off again in the 11th minute when Mohammed headed home the second goal to send the fans into another state of frenzy.
The visitors took up the challenge and mounted a few attacks of their own and in the 26th minute found a goal, an action that later turned out to be a consolation. Defender Farouk Adams fouled AS Vita's Ngonda Muzinga at the edge of the Aduana Stars penalty area for a free-kick. The player picked himself up and scored from the free kick which zoomed straight into the net with both the human wall and goalkeeper Joseph Addo beaten.
In the 35th minute, Aduana were forced into their first substitution of the game as first goal scorer Adjei limped off and was replaced by Ikama Oba Olitch.
Back from recess, both coaches made a couple of substitutions to their respective teams, but it failed to change the score line as the home side managed to hold on till the final whistle, despite some last minute pressure from SA Vita who had a good second half in terms of ball possession.
18.07.2018 13H00 Dormaa Aduana (Ghana) 2-1 AS Vita (DR Congo)
18.07.2018 19H00 Abidjan ASEC (Cote d’Ivoire) 0-1 Raja (Morocco)
18.07.2018 19H00 Omdurman Hilal (Sudan) vs UD Songo (Mozambique)
18.07.2018 19H00 Berkane RS Berkane (Morocco) vs Masry (Egypt)
18.07.2018 19H00 Bamako Djoliba (Mali) vs CARA (Congo)
18.07.2018 16H00 Port Harcourt Enyimba (Nigeria) 1-0 Williamsville (Cote d’Ivoire)
18.07.2018 16H00 Nairobi Gor Mahia (Kenya) 4-0 Young Africans (Tanzania)
18.07.2018 16H00 Kigali Rayon Sports (Rwanda) 1-2 USM Alger (Algeria)
Latest Nigeria News
- Gregory van der Wiel to leave Toronto FC after training camp bust-up with Greg Vanney - source
- Transfer Talk: Martin Skriniar dismisses talk of Manchester United move
- Barcelona boss Valverde defends Messi omission in Copa del Rey defeat
- Malcom, Philippe Coutinho both struggle again as Barca dig another Copa del Rey hole
- Nicol: De Jong good enough to play straight away
- Higuain will score goals, but is that enough?
- Dani Alves, Eric Maxim Choupo-Moting both 7/10 but Neymar injured in PSG's cup win
- Portland Timbers pursuing Tigres striker Julian Quinones - source
- Central Coast Mariners sign former Reading star Jem Karacan
- Jets weather late Mariners storm
- Sydney FC hold on for all three points
- Adelaide and Perth settle for goalless draw
- Berhalter hopeful young USMNT will absorb new concepts
- AC Milan sign Krzysztof Piatek as replacement for Chelsea's Gonzalo Higuain
- Balotelli hoping to thrive under Marseille's big expectations
- Phil Neville: Lionesses among the World Cup favourites
- Fulham Aboubakar Kamara arrested for incident at training ground - reports
- Could Diawara step up should Allan join PSG?
- Landon Donovan returns to professional soccer with San Diego Sockers in arena league
- Aguero adds to Man City's aggregate lead
- For most clubs, losing a star like Frenkie De Jong would be a killer. For Ajax, it's their business model
- Barcelona sign Frenkie de Jong from Ajax for ¬75m, joins in summer
- CAF host Continental Seminar for Technical Directors in Cairo
- Beckham: I have such fond memories of Salford
- Henry: Monaco owners will decide my future
- Higuain to sign for Chelsea: Sarri says Milan problems not a 'failure'
- Beckham joins Class of 92 teammates at Salford City
- Pochettino: Alli injury blow comes at 'worst moment' for Tottenham
- Aaron Ramsey leaving Arsenal 'comfort zone' for Juventus - Ryan Giggs
- Ballack: Hazard is a little too calm at Chelsea
- Do Ajax have the best academy in world football?
- Giggs: Juventus' quality will improve Ramsey
- For most clubs, losing top talent is a killer. For Ajax, it's their business model
- Man United charity auction: Solskjaer's watch raises twice as much as Mourinho's
- Eric Bailly from Manchester United to Arsenal 'impossible' in January - source
- Was it wrong for Man City to beat Burton 9-0? Or are critics missing the point of football?
- Banyana Banyana, Sweden share spoils in Cape Town
- Nigeria name Flying Eagles squad for Niger 2019
- LIVE Transfer Talk: Real Madrid to beat Man City to £90m Paulo Dybala
- Rumour Rater: Arsenal eye Gelson Martins on loan; PSG want Julian Weigl