Two first half goals by strikers Bright Adjei and and Yahaya Mohammed was enough for Ghana's Aduana Stars to pick their first three points at the expense of AS Vita of DR Congo.
The Ghanaians, who were without a win in the first two games following a home draw to Raja Athletic Club of Morocco and an away lose to ASEC Mimosas (Cote d’Ivoire), started the game strongly with new head coach Kenichi Yatshuashi fielding a familiar yet rigorous side.
Early pressure from the hosts saw Adjei open the scores as early as the fourth minute after midfielder Emmanuel Boateng dribbled past two players before issuing a through pass, and coolly planted the ball beyond the onrushing AS Vita goalkeeper, Nelson Lukong.
The goal served as a tonic for Aduana to push more men forward as they were on the front foot with the likes of Mohammed, Zakaria Mumuni and Boateng dictating the pace in the midfield.
Their persistence paid off again in the 11th minute when Mohammed headed home the second goal to send the fans into another state of frenzy.
The visitors took up the challenge and mounted a few attacks of their own and in the 26th minute found a goal, an action that later turned out to be a consolation. Defender Farouk Adams fouled AS Vita's Ngonda Muzinga at the edge of the Aduana Stars penalty area for a free-kick. The player picked himself up and scored from the free kick which zoomed straight into the net with both the human wall and goalkeeper Joseph Addo beaten.
In the 35th minute, Aduana were forced into their first substitution of the game as first goal scorer Adjei limped off and was replaced by Ikama Oba Olitch.
Back from recess, both coaches made a couple of substitutions to their respective teams, but it failed to change the score line as the home side managed to hold on till the final whistle, despite some last minute pressure from SA Vita who had a good second half in terms of ball possession.
18.07.2018 13H00 Dormaa Aduana (Ghana) 2-1 AS Vita (DR Congo)
18.07.2018 19H00 Abidjan ASEC (Cote d’Ivoire) 0-1 Raja (Morocco)
18.07.2018 19H00 Omdurman Hilal (Sudan) vs UD Songo (Mozambique)
18.07.2018 19H00 Berkane RS Berkane (Morocco) vs Masry (Egypt)
18.07.2018 19H00 Bamako Djoliba (Mali) vs CARA (Congo)
18.07.2018 16H00 Port Harcourt Enyimba (Nigeria) 1-0 Williamsville (Cote d’Ivoire)
18.07.2018 16H00 Nairobi Gor Mahia (Kenya) 4-0 Young Africans (Tanzania)
18.07.2018 16H00 Kigali Rayon Sports (Rwanda) 1-2 USM Alger (Algeria)
Latest Nigeria News
- Messi ‘sees things others don’t’ says Barcelona coach
- Federer to clash with Djokovic in Cincy tennis final
- Halep beats Sabalenka to reach third Cincy final
- Messi, Coutinho get Barcelona off to winning start
- Man accused of hijacking plane extradited from Cyprus
- Sporting KC 3-0 Portland: Diego Rubio brace
- Houston 1-2 Real Salt Lake: RSL score two in stoppage
- San Jose 1-1 Toronto: Wondolowski scores
- Andre Gray scores for Watford
- Tarkowski levels it for Burnley
- Sergio Aguero lobs it over the keeper
- Gabriel Jesus quickly makes it two
- Sergio Aguero gives Man City 3-0 Lead
- Stankovic gets one back for Huddersfield
- Liverpool midfielder Marko Grujic signs contract, joins Hertha Berlin on loan
- Germany should have defended Mesut Ozil from 'racist attacks' - DFB president
- Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp on Naby Keita: We have no idea how good he can be
- Hungarian game delayed as player gets wedding ring stuck, loses starting XI spot
- Atletico's Antoine Griezmann and Karl-Anthony Towns do a Fortnite dance
- Guardiola: Mendy is important for Man City's locker room
- Man United's Jose Mourinho: Fred a 'positive influence,' Andreas Pereira has become more of a man
- Iwobi scores in Chelsea, Arsenal five-goal thriller
- Tears, fears as DSS occupation of glasshouse continues
- Ronaldo fails to score on Serie A debut
- PSG hero Kylian Mbappe: Neymar's a bigger superstar than I am
- Manchester City's Pep Guaridola won't hesitate to play Phil Foden: 'We trust him a lot'
- Transfer Talk: Manchester City plan £60 million swoop for Wolves' Ruben Neves
- Philadelphia Union improve playoff standing with shutout of New York City FC
- Daniel Royer earns draw vs. Vancouver Whitecaps, keeps New York Red Bulls' run alive
- Daniel Lovitz scores in stoppage-time as Montreal Impact edge the Chicago Fire
- Diego Rubio scores twice as Sporting Kansas City blank the Portland Timbers
- Albert Rusnak's brace helps Real Salt Lake stun the Houston Dynamo
- Chris Wondolowski's equalizer helps San Jose Earthquakes draw with Toronto FC
- FC Dallas remains atop West with shutout of Minnesota United
- Ronaldo fails to score in Juventus debut
- Chelsea beat Arsenal 3-2 in thrilling London derby
- Sarri salutes Chelsea’s winning mentality after ‘horrible’ spell
- Tight security as Ronaldo makes Serie A debut
- Kane ends goal drought as he scores for Tottenham Spurs
- Mbappe scores in first match for PSG after World Cup